Are you writing a novel or story and feeling stuck? Do you have the sneaking suspicion that your story went off the rails somewhere? Not sure what to do with your characters?
Don’t worry. You can fix practically any story problem just by asking yourself five simple questions:
1. Who’s really driving the action in this story?
Sometimes, we start writing a story with one character in mind, but a few chapters later, a different character takes over. That can leave you feeling stuck, and you may not even know why.
To find out if this is your problem, make a quick list of the main characters in your story. Then ask yourself this:
- Who has the strongest, clearest, most specific goal?
- Who has the most to lose?
- Who appears in the highest number of scenes?
- Who could be (or has been) hurt the worst?